Life with a Myositis Disease

The laughter and tears that come with living with Polymyositis

My Photo
Name:
Location: fort worth, texas, United States

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pods from Outer Space

I swear those moving pods SHRINK! That is the only explanation for why four weren't sufficient. I had to have another one delivered, and am hoping that will be enough. Geez - when did I collect all this stuff?? And I accuse my uncle of being a pack rat....

Speaking of the pack rat - my family ROCKS! My poor uncle came down and spent the night to help me with the final moving preparations. As a former Naval man, no one can beat him in knowing how to pack and keep things moving along- with colorful and entertaining expletives! He worked like a dog, and directed those movers making sure every spare inch of pod space was used (and I still ran out of space??) I kept telling him to take it easy - his girlfriend strikes me as someone who would take swift action should someone cause harm to her man! LOL

I left at one point during the pod-packing to get lunch for everyone, and when I returned it was to three men with suspiciously innocent looking expressions on their faces. I began unpacking the fast-food, while looking about trying to see what could have caused this reaction, while they chattered away - you know, the way men only do when they want to distract you? My concern began to rise when I spotted my saws-all sitting on top of some boxes. For those of you who aren't familiar with them - this is a large tool that will cut through anything - wood, metal, etc. Uncle Mike began lecturing me sternly on the two items you never pack during a move - tools, and an extension cord. I responded that I hadn't packed the tools, and just what did you need an extension cord for? Everyone got very quiet, and the moving guys began inspecting their food intently.

I should explain that I have a very tall armoire made of solid wood that I was concerned might not fit in the pods - the delivery guy looked it over and assured me it would. Well, apparently it wouldn't. So my Uncle - being the 'get it done' kind of guy he is - decided to do some last minute renovation.....to the pod, and NOT the armoire, thank God! I'm just glad he waited to do it while I was gone so I can honestly say I didn't see what happened, should the moving company notice it later!

And then there's my mom, who arrived yesterday to make the drive with me to Texas (the trip has now been delayed a few days due to the additional pod). I picked her up from Seatac after an hour wait for her luggage - this is why I try to NEVER check luggage when coming into Seatac. I had called my sister-in-law the night before to ask her to put my mom up for a few days, since the trip was delayed and I refuse to have her join me in sleeping on the floor of an empty house with no fridge and three dogs. I am sleeping on an air mattress and Heidi (who hasn't been able to reach the bed for a few years now) was happy to join me and the other two dogs at night. All three are fairly uneasy with all the activity, so I wind up with a Tasha on one side, Teddy on the other and Heidi in her old spot near my head....I guess I'll have to get used to a face full of fluffy butt-fur in my face for a few nights!

As my Mom and I were leaving the airport, we had this exchange:

Mom: So, what did Uncle Mike have to say?
Me: Son of a BITCH! Shit, shit, SHIT!!
Mom (looking about frantically): What? What!
Me: That's what he had to say.
Mom: Who?!
Me: Uncle Mike!
Mom: Oh.

Then she starts to laugh as the exchange sunk in. Now, watching my mom laugh is enough to make the most sober individual giggle. Her face brightens in glee, her skin pinkens and the only noise she makes is small huffs of air. If you really tickle her funny-bone, tears will stream down her cheeks while the huffing noises come more frantically - almost squeaking. Every time I am able to make the tears come, I feel like I won a prize. I am the FUNNIEST person on earth at that moment.

I love to make my mom laugh, and she deserves every snicker, giggle, belly laugh she can get. The last time she went on a road trip with me I happened to bring the book Stupid Criminals which I read to her on the way, to her delight. This time I tried to bring audio books, but No! She wanted me to read to her. So I poured over the humor section and bought 5 more 'stupid' books - whatever she wants, she's gonna get for agreeing to make a 2500 mile trip in a small SUV in the summer heat with me, our luggage and THREE LARGE DOGS. Listening to music isn't an option as I object to her choices (Roger Whitaker and John Denver) and she objects to mine (Janis Joplin and Aerosmith singing the blues). What a combo! Maybe we could trade off....*snicker*

Our trip will be punctuated by regular calls from Dad. He and Mom talk multiple times a day when either one is travelling. Mom's family once commented that it seemed controlling to them - which left Mom bemused. They truly have a wonderful relationship, and enjoy each others' company immensely. I can only hope to find that kind of relationship. Dad is very excited to have me in Texas....I think it really bothered him to have me so far away when I was ill. He never saw me at my worst, and while he couldn't have done anything I'm sure it was tough knowing your child was fighting a disease while you couldn't even offer a hug. His hugs are worth gold!

Here's hoping for an uneventful trip, and to getting my long-overdue hug from Dad!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home